Many of us own a vehicle which we use to steer through the roads of our city. For maintaining our vehicle, we pay keen attention to cleaning the exterior of the automobile. But, we pay the least interest in cleaning the engine bay of our vehicle. It is important to clean the engine bay of the automobile just like the other parts of the vehicle.
Why Clean Your Vehicle’s Engine Bay?
Here is why you should start cleaning the engine bay of your vehicle:
Cleaning is essential for washing off all the dirt and preventing damage along with maintaining the resale value of the automobile. An unclean engine bay buried under oil and grit is prone to early damage and wear in the bearings and the pulleys. Sometimes, one may even not get to know about some serious problems like a gasket leak. A clean engine bay facilitates the engine to be cooler and work smoothly and efficiently. Moreover, it also maintains the value of your vehicle high.
Thus, it is quintessential to clean the engine bay of your automobile for better functioning and keeping the resale valuation to a high. So, you should probably start cleaning your engine bay while cleaning the exterior of your vehicle.
A spa for your vehicle might cost you a little, so if you are looking out for waxing the motor vehicle and saving a few bucks, then cleaning yourself is the best option.
Steps to Clean the Engine Bay of Your Vehicle
The next thing you need to know is that water and soap cannot wax your engine bay cleaner. Moreover, cleaning of the engine bay requires knowledge of the engine parts. It is this precision, detailing and knowledge of the engine parts that the professional engine cleaners charge more.
However, the following is the guide that will facilitate you in cleaning the engine bay the right way, if you are doing it on your own.
- Give a quick pre-rinse to rinse off the dirt and grit settled on the exterior part. It also allows the engine degreaser to spread around easily. Additionally, it does not allow the spots of the soap from drying away quickly. Thus, a pre-rinse is a necessary step. Perhaps it is important that you do not just put cold water on the hot parts of the engine. So, open the hood and wait until the engine cools down a little for about an hour. Put the drip pans and absorbent pads at this time since you don’t want the junk and chemicals from going down the gutter.
- Make it sure to either disconnect the negative terminal of the battery or to shield the battery with a plastic cover. This prevents any chances that water conducting electricity makes any temporary new circuits. Also, use the plastic cover to protect the alternator, carburettor and distributor. Also, make it a point to go easy when using water around the fuse box and the coil packs. Operate the power washer, if available, at a lower pressure to avoid any small crevices between the parts and components of the vehicle.
- Once this is done, it is now the time to use an engine degreaser liberally. While some may think a regular car-wash soap may be sufficient enough to clean engine bay, it is indeed not. Regular car soaps can clean dirt and grit but are not capable to wax off all the rigid oil stains and grime. Thus, a degreaser is essential. Use the degreaser heavily on parts which tend to deal with oil, for instance, oil pan or starter. For using the degreaser, execute the instructions as written on the bottle. Let it settle for a few minutes to lift all the grime and oily particles. Make use of a brush with soft bristles for washing off all the acutely stained parts.
- For verifying the progress, rinse again at the low-pressure water. For vehicles that haven’t been cleaned for long might require another round of degreaser cleaning.
- If the degreasing has been done, it is time to bring automotive carwash soap into action. For finishing off the cleaning, make use of automotive wash mitt, soak it in a bucket of soap and scrub the engine bay and finally rinse the vehicle.
- Remove all the plastic covers and bags over the sensitive parts that needed protection.
- To edge away and to polish any scratches and for boosting the shine of the plastic parts of the engine bay. For the metallic part, a metal polish will do the work.
It is also vital to note that does not make use of any brutal chemicals and detergents for cleaning engine bay. This will only lead to premature wear and damage of the engine parts.
These steps aid in cleaning the engine bay of the vehicle very efficiently and get your vehicle sparkling bright with the powerful engine bay cleaners.
There are many engine degreasers available in the market that serves for cleaning the tough oil stains on the engine bay.
While the Purple power makes up for the best degreaser within an affordable price range, it is not suited for aluminium and delicate sensitive plastic parts. The Gunk Foamy Engine Degreaser is also amongst the best facilitating ease of use with its no need for diluting in water property. However, it is not efficient for extremely filthy and grime surfaces. One of the easiest to use, the Simple Green Foaming Crystal Engine Degreaser is a great engine bay cleaner with its spray technology requiring no requirement for mixing or diluting with water. Though for carbon build-up, it is not the most recommended one.
There are other engine bay cleaners available as well.
When buying engine degreaser for a good DIY, always follow certain tips such as not using the degreaser when the engine is hot, using the washer at a low-pressure and covering the particular parts with plastic bags.
These all steps and tips will help you get a clean sparkling vehicle back in all its glory.